Friday, March 22, 2013

Raw root veggie carpaccio salad

photos, Diane Carnevale

This crazy salad is an explosion of colors! Finding striped Choiggia beets at the market inspired me to make a shaved raw root veggie salad with orange vinaigrette to show off their beautiful stripes. I used all kinds and colors of root veg, including yellow, red, and the aforementioned striped beets, orange, purple and yellow carrots, parsnips, fennel, celery root, and radishes. I shaved them on the thinnest setting of my mandolin, then tumbled them in a bowl with chopped mint, fennel fronds, and a spicy orange vinaigrette (made with orange and lemon juice, olive oil, diced shallots, salt, pepper, and a generous sprinkle of chili pepper flakes). After plating, I added some chunks of goat cheese and roasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds). The texture, colors and flavors were crazy good, like a rainbow! Click here to see a similar shaved root salad that I made last year.

Striped Chioggia beets



P.S. For those of you who are local to Boston's North Shore, 
I got the Chioggia beets at Vidalias in Beverly Farms, MA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!