Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dressed for the Oscars

dress graphic by Diane Carnevale

I love Oscars night! Even though I enjoy the reason why they have these award shows in the first place, the films, I confess that for me it's really more about the dresses on the red carpet than the actual award show. In the spirit of a kid playing dress-up, I wear my diamond tiara and matte gold opera gloves and sip champagne while watching the Hollywood fancy frock fantasy. Specifically, I love the jaw-droppingly elegant style, the fairytale Princess elegance, the old school glitzy glamour of all the svelte and beautiful thespians. And the gowns, the gorgeous, gorgeous gowns!! Sublimely sleek Grecian goddess wearing hand beaded-glittered-shimmering-chiffon-taffeta-tulle-silver crystal mesh-strapless-floor length-figure hugging-corseted-cut away-asymmetrical-one shoulder-strapless-plunging neckline-demure-daring-whooshing feathery-powder puff-Southern Belle style GOWNS made by big-name designers such as Yves Saint Laurent, Jean Paul Gaultier, Calvin Klein, Versace, Ralph Lauren, Giorgio Armani, Chanel, Valentino, Dior, Guy Laroche, Vera Wang... just to name a few... Phew! And THEN there are the accessories, the dazzling Harry WInston, Cartier or Bulgari diamonds, the flash of red lipstick, the shoes, and amazing hair and up-dos.... It's some enchanting evening. The guys look pretty good too, in their tuxes (Hi George!). They can't mess up too much though (they just have to make sure that their socks match) but the gals have to take chances and make risky fashion statements. My favorite look is the classic, old Hollywood style (think Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly) but maybe I'll see a new favorite dress tonight. I am doing a home spa day and the champagne is chillin'... see you on the red carpet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!