Saturday, November 16, 2013

Gorgeous portrait—John Wayne


Holy smokes, can you even believe this is John Wayne? What a handsome devil. Most of us remember him as "The Duke," a man's man, and more specifically, a tough, old cowboy ("well I tell ya Missey..." ), but this angelic face is quite beautiful. I haven't seen many of his cowboy and Indian films (or sagebrush and saddle!) except for The Searchers and a few other of those classic films like She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. I loved him The Green Berets, but it's not a light and fluffy film and a tough one to revisit.

My favorite John Wayne film, one that I've seen very often, is The Quiet Man, set in Ireland and co-starring the sassy and fiery Maureen O'Hara. Wayne's character is Sean Thornton, an American ex boxer who returns to his family's land and falls for Ms. O'Hara. (Fun fact: When Dan and I visited Ireland, we bought Aran sweaters at the same Galway shop that provided the custom costumes for The Quiet Man.) Wayne always seemed to have a warmth and genuine spirit in his roles, and never more so than in The Quiet Man.



“Courage is being scared to death, 
but saddling up anyway.” 



Click on the gorgeous portraits label below for more gorgeousness!

1 comment:

  1. Handsome, indeed. I love his hair here. :) I used to watch _The Quiet Man_ with my parents when it would be on TV. :)

    ReplyDelete

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!