Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Chicken massaman curry




My food pantry is never without a can of Thai massaman curry paste. From that little can, I can bring the flavors of Thailand to my kitchen in a snap. Muslim in origin, this curry is sweet and only mildly spicy. All recipes vary of course, but massaman curries generally contain tons of spices, including cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, palm sugar, fish sauce, chili, tamarind, turmeric, cumin, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, peanuts.

To make the base sauce, I combine a can of massaman curry and a can of coconut milk in a stew pot.  To that I add diced, cooked sweet potatoes, diced carrots, sautéed onions, browned chicken (1 inch pieces) and a kaffir lime leaf or two (which I keep frozen). After the stew has simmered for 5-10 minutes, I place in bowls over a bed of jasmine rice, then top with roasted peanuts, cilantro, and green onions. Prepare your taste buds for an explosion of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!