Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Poire française tarte


What do do with all those pears? Bake a poire française tarte, oui? I made this French pear tart for my aunt Margie's 90th birthday party on Sunday. Officially that makes her my oldest relative, and certainly the oldest person I know!


To make this tart I made Martha Stewart's pâte brisée pie crust, then the rest is sort of a creation of my own. I rolled out the dough and put it into tart shell—this one just happened to be a long rectangular one. Then I spread about 1/3 cup of almond butter on the bottom of the tart shell (I sometimes use almond paste). I roasted around 1/3 of a cup of slivered almonds and sprinkled a layer of them on the almond butter. In a bowl, I mixed 1 tbsp, flour, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. I peeled the pears,  (around 5 small ones or 3 large ones) then sliced them (you can also just half or quarter them) then I coated the pears in the flour and sugar mixture. Next, I arranged the pears in a herringbone pattern but arrange your pears however you wish. I sprinkled more almonds down the center, then dabbed with about 2 tbsp butter, and baked for 40-45 minutes in a 350° oven. When I removed the tart, I brushed with a glaze of apricot preserves and dark rum. I like to serve the tart with a delectable swirl of caramel sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!