Saturday, March 10, 2012

Farro, mushrooms and baby spinach


Some would call this a farro risotto, or a farroto but since I don't cook the farro the way that I would an aborio rice, this doesn't quite seem accurate. To make it I sautéed some diced shallots in butter and olive oil, added the farro and some white wine, then cooked that off until it was dry, and then for about a minute more. Then I added in some chicken stock, salt and pepper, and cooked the farro as I would a regular brown rice. Meanwhile, I sautéed the earthy mélange of sliced mushrooms (cremini, oyster, and shitake, and button) with garlic, white wine and fresh sprigs of thyme. When the farro was cooked I added in the mushroom mixture and just before serving I grated in some Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Sometimes I toss in a handful of baby spinach leaves, sometimes I add parsley leaves. I found a similar farro and mushroom recipe from the NY Times website. Whatever you call this dish, a mushroom farroto or just farro and mushrooms, it's nutty, savory, and ultimately, a healthy comfort food. photo, Diane Carnevale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!