Monday, July 6, 2015

Perusing through Persian books


I was researching Persian books for a book that I am designing for work and came upon these beautiful illuminated Persian book pages. I have no idea what the calligraphic script writings mean, but like the gloriously rich Irish illuminated manuscripts, such as the Book of Kells, these Persian books were most likely created to document and spread the word of their religion. Whatever their meaning, aesthetically they are simply breathtaking. Such detail! The calligraphy and decorative borders are lovely, but I especially love their intense color palettes.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,
    I took classes from the painter Tim Harney who had a passion for Persian miniatures. His bio just says miniatures, but he definitely spoke about Persian miniatures in class.
    http://www.clarkgallery.com/artists/timothy-harney
    Bredt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bredt... I love that you know about Persian miniatures!

    ReplyDelete

Type your comments here. If you don't have any of the accounts listed, select "Name/URL" and just put your name. Thanks!